Saturday, July 6, 2013

Front porch Facelift

So I gave the front of our house a little more personality. It was sorely needed.


Before

After

Since we purchased it a little over a year ago, we've:
Removed the antenna, removed and replaced the mailbox, removed the flag pole, painted the front door, painted the shutters and porch (the most recent change), painted and re-hung the house numbers, and ripped out all of the juniper. Since this photo was taken John has also pressure washed the sidewalks and I'm trying to train Morning Glory vines up the porch railings.

The accent color doesn't quite show up in the photos. It's a muddy grey-ish brown. Sounds ugly, I know. But I wanted something neutral-ish that would still give some personality. The creme is kinda hard to coordinate with. I didn't want to choose something ultra-modern that would clash with the feel of the house in general. An 80's house with brick and cream vinyl siding would probably not look great with school bus yellow.

Plus I've always been a fan of craftsman style architecture and it's not known for super bold colors. In hindsight, I probably could have selected a teal maybe a shade or two darker than the house numbers and that probably would have been cute too, but I was hesitant to do something too trendy that I would hate in a few years. It's tedious to repaint shutters and porches. Trim work is so time consuming. Especially when you dislike painting like I do. That's why I put it off so long.

So, I think it turned out pretty cute, especially in combination with the mailbox I did.
Oh, that post is painted the color of the house trim now :)

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to show some love and ask questions!