Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Weekend Update 11-12-11

After 5 glorious days in the wilderness, without phone service, I am back to reality.

John is always glad to get back into a routine and work, but I maintain my stance that I could live on eternal vacation and be perfectly happy.

I didn't take many photos of our trip, but suffice it to say a lot of time was spent doing nothing. And that does not make for interesting photography subject matter. But it does make for a relaxing time.

Every day went like this: Wake up, eat breakfast, lounge around, maybe take a walk, help in the kitchen a little, read, take a nap, converse with friends, shower, eat dinner, have church service, eat more food, talk more and get ready for bed. Only two exceptions to this- one day we all played softball (or stick ball in this case) and one night we built a bonfire to gather round.

We also spent all five days in a tent. Most people sissied out and brought campers or RV's. But not us! We are too poor for that! Lol. We surprisingly fared well even in 28 degree lows where we would awake to frost/ice on our tent. When you've got 2 sleeping bags and two heavy blankets, each other for snuggling and one of you (me) gets increasingly hotter the longer you sleep, you can make it just fine. The only tough part was that even with our egg crates, the ground was pretty solid. The last 2 nights we borrowed a foam pad and that made things much much more enjoyable.
The dirt road leading into camp

Our little postage-stamp sized tent. Our queen air mattress doesn't fit in it!
One thing we did more than enough of was eat. Oh my word, the amount and types of food that was prepared! It was like eating in Paula Deen's kitchen for 5 days. Unfortunately I gained 3 pounds :( We are back to healthy eating this week for sure! A 5 day butter/grease/sugar fest tasted good, but it does not feel good. Just some of the food- lasagna, meatballs, spaghetti, nachos with homemade chips, homemade corn muffins and sourdough bread, fried chicken, macaroni, scalloped potatoes, collards, coleslaw, potato salad, brisket, pulled pork, homemade rolls, corn, peas and beans, rice, queso, black beans and of course daily breakfast of grits, eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, cereal and sometimes oatmeal. Then the desserts, chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, Mexican wedding cookies, smores with homemade graham crackers and marshmallows, cheesecake, German chocolate cake, carrot cake, chocolate cake with buttercream, vanilla pudding, key lime trifle, homemade doughnuts, store bought donuts, and lots of leftover Halloween candy. It was RIDICULOUS! All very tasty, and I think I need their grit recipe, but so so fattening!

Anyway, it's sad I'm such a fatty that I devoted a large paragraph to food. Moving on.

We also had church service each night. Despite the rock hard pews and frigid temps, God met us each time. I am so surprised at where God has led us to. I never thought I would get anything from singing hymns a Capella or just with a piano, listening to "screaming" preaching or listening to anyone who wanted to share get up a sing a song, talented or not. BUT- I am truly learning that God moves because of the heart and intent of his people, no matter the location, music or attire. I have felt His presence in my little white church worshiping to a beautiful gospel trio just as much as I did singing the latest Jesus Culture or Hillsong music with a full band in a large sanctuary. And I so much enjoy getting to know my Pastor so well and feeling comfortable around him.

If you think about it, pray for me. Pray that I would be content with my place and pace in life right now. I have so much to be thankful for. But there is one goal I've wanted my whole life and I've yet to attain it. In camp our Pastor encouraged us to begin believing God for something, really asking for and praying for it. So that's what I'm gonna do. But I'm so impatient. It can't be done without His help and blessing, so I'm going to have to wait on His time for sure. But I pray it will be soon!

A few photos:
Mr K, our Pastor and John gathered around the wood-burning stove. Which they bought this year praise God!

I just love railroad tracks for some reason

The "young folks" took a walk in the woods

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a nice getaway! Thanks for sharing...will add positive thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to show some love and ask questions!