Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thanksgiving Recipes!

Hi all!

So- I made three things for Thanksgiving. I am going to put the Internet links for each one, and then list the modifications I made or the tips I have.

My fave:

Brie en croute
Pepperidge Farm Recipe

There is a link to the specific brie I made, but it is malfunctioning.
So, to fancy it up like I did, add this:
Before you lay the cheese on the pastry-
Mix 1/2 tsp fresh chopped rosemary, 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans, 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup dried fruit of your choice (I used cranberries, original recipe calls for cherries). Soften fruit first by soaking in hot water for 1 min, then pat dry on paper towel. Place the mix in the center of the pastry and lay brie round on top. Then proceed with basic recipe linked above.

Tip- I think that technically the thick "rind" that comes on brie is supposed to be left on. But ours (purchased at Wal-Mart) had a very thick, not tasty, "skin". We used the side edge of a spoon turned upside down to scrape the rind off. A veggie/potato peeler also works well along the rim.
Serve warm. Reheats well in the microwave. 

So, I sent my fab sis-in-law/owner of  this somewhat neglected blog :) I found out you are technically supposed to leave the rind (mold) on. But it's up to your taste buds.
Opinion 1
Opinion 2
Opinion 3

Pepperidge Farm's website has a few other brie recipes that sound yummy!



Cheese's Baked Mac n Cheese
Allrecipes.com
So I definitely "healthied" this one up.
I used only 1 link (about 8 oz) of smoked turkey sausage, reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese blend, fat free milk and whole wheat flour. I also recommend only using 1/4 to 1/3 cup of bread crumbs. They recommend waaaay too many IMO.



Classy Green Bean Casserole
Allrecipes.com
I used fat free sour cream, low-fat/sodium mushroom soup and reduced fat crackers. IMO- the sour cream probably should have been at least light, maybe even full-fat. Or maybe I'm just not a fan of this recipe. But if you make the modifications, it would be pretty low-cal.

I hope you all enjoyed your holiday!

1 comment:

  1. meant to call you last night. made the brie en croute w/ apricot jam (which we randomly had already : ) and toasted pecans. was divine. i do want to try to make this in a rameken w/ pastry puff only on top, a la a brie pot pie /fondue. since i think the puff pastry is best on top where it's flaky vs on bottom where it's gooey. but divine any way you slice it. literally.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to show some love and ask questions!