Sunday, February 5, 2012

Weekend Update 02-04-12

We had a wonderful time this weekend, and the Superbowl was only a small part of it :)

My friend Elise, who I visited a couple weeks ago, returned the favor and visited us (along with her sarcastic yet adorable hubs Reuben).
Another mutual friend of ours, "M" had invited her to make the trip over for "M's" birthday party. So they came and stayed with us.

Friday night we had dinner and then fondue (at home). It was so tasty, and a good reason to use up the leftover chocolate still melted in the pot from the bridal shower. Then we did a little Dance Central with the Kinect to burn off some of those calories. Of course we stayed up way too late talking.

Saturday we got up much earlier than we would have liked to, but all for a good cause. We went out in search of great yard sale deals. It was looking pretty bleak for the first 90 minutes or so. Overcast skies, very few signs, and listings on my app that apparently decided to not have a sale after all.
But then, we pulled up to the World Series of yard sales. The best one I've ever been to. Seriously. It was just a single lady having a moving sale. Only it looked like World Market, Ross, Pottery Barn and Ikea had thrown up all in her house. She was getting rid of EVERYTHING. By the time we got there the sale had been going on an hour and several people already had MOUNDS of things set aside to buy. One older lady was fiercely guarding a big pile in the backyard and I overheard her say she was going to offer $200 for it. I wish we would have been there when it opened, but I probably would have been taking money out of savings to buy all the cool inexpensive stuff she had. We definitely would've needed to call John for the truck.
At first we were nervous because 99% of the items did not have prices. But once Reuben asked about a bathroom cabinet and she said $5 and he overheard her saying $1 for clothes, we too started a pile. We
probably spent 45 minutes in this lady's house. Then we spent another 15 minutes waiting in line to pay her. But in the end we came out with this:

Elise got:

All clothes, $1 each

Cabinet, $5, wall art  $5, pic frame $2, white bedspread and white duvet $10, candles, wall crosses, new chocolate fountain $10 and decorative pillows (a couple bucks)
Then my loot:
I spent $20 altogether and got 15 items. Thanks to Elise for modeling.

Woven square basket, black purse, 4 napkin rings, toss pillow, decorative plate, pewter bowl, 2 vinyl wall art (large flowers and "Always Kiss Me Goodnight), glass vase, star mirror and my fave deco- silver pear. You can put a votive candle under the pear and the light shines through the holes

Really nice shirt for John. The patio lights ($20) are for mom and the other two shirts ($3) are from another yard sale.

Included in my $20 haul from Pottery Barn lady was a pair of Toms "Vegan Wrap Boots" that I got just to sell. I think they are pretty darn ugly, but they're worth around $40-$60 bucks!
Later when John came homes (we went separately so we could take our time and not slow him down) he showed me what he bought:

A tandem bike! Or as I like to call it "a bicycle built for two." I have to admit I was nervous to ride it and when we first took off and stopped I shrieked a little. But once we got going it really was fun. And trust building. Lol.
We'll enjoy it while it lasts, cause this puppy is for sale.


Then Saturday night was "M's" party. I forgot my camera :( We ate and talked way too much. I made a recipe that caught my eye and reminded me of holidays meals as a child: Watergate Salad. Aka "fluff, green fluff," etc. Oh my did it hit the spot for me! So light, fluffy and sweet. After my fourth serving I finally got rid of my craving for it!

Sunday we took a little time after church to photograph our faces :) So I could prove Elise has a head, lol.

Showing Reuben the rapid fire capabilities of our camera

And then to top off the weekend, the Giants won. Not that either of "our" teams were playing at all, but the hubs wanted the Giants to win, so I was glad they did. And that we could witness it with gracious hosts and good friends, the Seymores. Who also grilled burgers and hot dogs for us.

Now back to healthy eating and exercise :)

Happy Monday





2 comments:

  1. Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer true.
    I'm half crazy,
    All for the love of you.
    It won't be a stylish marriage,
    I can't afford a carriage.
    But you'll look sweet,
    Upon the seat,
    Of a bicycle built for two.

    (or at least what I remember!)

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh so jealous, you guys made some major garage sale scores and you hung out with two people I loooove, the Copes! Sounds like an amazing weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to show some love and ask questions!