Saturday, September 15, 2012

Baby White Week 31

So let me update you on the provider we chose...

Ultimately, we decided to stick with a midwife and switch practices. It was a tough decision and by the time we came to it, I honestly didn't care anymore.

We met with the MD at our current practice. She was super nice. We liked her personality a lot. She was polite, calm and patient-centered. She's pretty natural minded for an MD. She has a 15 month old girl herself and had an unmedicated natural birth. If there wasn't a midwife in town, she would be my first choice for a doctor.

Immediately after that we met with the midwife at the other practice. She was also natural and patient-centered. She is pretty forthright and speaks overly loud. Her personality is alright, but not as pleasant. However, she is even more naturally minded than the doctor. She is ok with extending pregnancy one week more than the doc. And of course she has a great reputation in this area. A lot of my friends have used her.

Overall, John and I felt that a midwife is what we went into pregnancy wanting, so that's what we would keep. I also like the office practices better at the midwife's office. I realize I only have one experience to base it off of, but at the other office we waited about 5 minutes in the waiting room and about five or ten minutes in the consultation room. Our current practice runs at least 30 minutes behind at all times. Or at least all the times I have been there. I honestly don't mind if there's a wait, but I do want to be informed when I sign in. Our current office never does this. If my appointment is going to be delayed 30-60 minutes, I think it's only courteous to let me know when I arrive. I understand the doctors have emergencies or blips in their schedule. But I should get to make the decision if I want to wait that long, or reschedule.

And of course you know I was upset with the way they handled informing us that our midwife was gone. I feel her patients should have been contacted immediately. A letter, a phone call, something. If I had not called 2 days before my scheduled appointment to ask why my reminder phone call listed another provider, I would not have been told until I showed up. That meant several weeks lost that I could have been looking for another provider or deciding whether to stay. I also loathe their phone system. I don't want a busy signal 3-5 times before getting through. I don't want to call during my lunch (when most people have time to make personal calls) to find out that you don't answer your phones for 90+ minutes a day because you are on lunch. Eat in shifts. Getting a voicemail box. The only options shouldn't be no answer or leaving a message with the emergency service.

Actually, the practice manager called me yesterday. I was expecting it. The hospital that owns the practice has a Facebook page, and I went on their and posted a bit of a complaint. They still have my midwife listed on their website, in several places. I told them that was false advertisement and that I was upset with the way her leaving was handled. It would have been much better service to let her deliver her current patients (not take on any new ones) and then let her go. So I will probably call the practice manager and let her know my concerns, at least about the phone system and informing people of delays.

So now that I'm on the two week appointment schedule, I'll be headed back to the midwife on the 24th. I hope all will go well.

I also staged the nursery this week for a photo shoot. Now you can all see the completed look!

Of course the bassinet will move out to our room once she's here

I found an older hardback copy of "Little Women" at a yard sale. I love the book and the cover is very feminine.

We'll be holding onto this Bumbo seat since it may be hard to get one anymore! All because of silly people who can't follow instructions!

The print on the left says "Love you to the moon and back" The photo on the right is of our dogs :)

Pink tub to hold hairbows and headbands :) The pink blanket in the middle is the "make do" changing pad for now.

Dad's guitar is waiting for him to play lullabies :)

A nice soft glow from the lamp next to the swing
Comfy seat for lots of rocking. Along with a monogrammed pillow.
This week our city had a "Mom to Mom" resale event. It's like a huge temporary consignment store. The organizers take in your stuff and label and display it and handle all the sales. We weren't going to stop in since John is really not wanting us to buy anything else until after our showers, but he said we could pop in if I wanted to. I did :)

It was a mad house in there! Today some items were half off. But I did really good, since I took the hall monitor (John) with me. Can I just say that bringing your husband shopping is somewhat like eating dinner with your personal trainer at like, McDonalds or something. What was I thinking? I had about 10-15 dollars worth of stuff when we went to get in the checkout line, which went halfway around the building. Probably a 20-30 minute wait. That's when the hall monitor decided we should only get in line if I "really wanted that stuff". I gave up in exasperation. It was already clear he was not enjoying this like I do. He tried to backpedal with the "if you want it, we can wait," but for me all the joy was gone. So I put down the pile of a few hooded towels, bibs, burp cloths and a shopping cart cover and headed home.

I sure hope they'll be plenty of yard sales and that I'll feel up to going to them in October. I am sure we'll get lots of nice things from our family and friends, but I don't expect people to spend boocoos of money on us. I couldn't do that for someone else.

Last night we got out and walked around downtown for Gallery Night. So you're going to ignore that I'm wearing the same shirt from last Friday. It's my new favorite and the weather was cool enough for me to be comfortable in it. :)

Nothing out of the ordinary symptom wise. I think my feet and legs are starting to swell a little. I can't tell you how hard it was to get those boots on! Thankfully they came off easily.
My poor bladder is really being compressed these days. It feels full quite a lot, sometimes even when it's barely got anything in it at all :) I'm getting bigger and more awkward all the time :) But that's ok for now. Too bad it isn't ok for women to always be this round in the middle and still be considered "cute". Lol

Next week is my "big" shower, and I'm excited! I'm getting a mani pedi the morning of it too! Can't wait to share with you!


  1. The nursery is so cute! Where did you get that lamp? And pregnancy looks good on you! I'm so excited for you and John. I will be shopping for baby Sophia this week, so a package will be coming your way soon. :)

  2. Love love love the ombre dresser and color scheme, so girly yet not babyish. Well done momma, all that is missing is the babe!:)


Feel free to show some love and ask questions!