Monday, August 16, 2010

This past weekend

So I really wanted to do this post from my flight- use cool in-flight wifi and feel current. Buuuutttt- I decided I just didn't want to pay the $5 to do it. So as I'm typing this up I'm sitting here in the Atlanta airport- still not using wifi. Once again- don't wanna pay. Dave Ramsey would be proud. I'm going to save money seeing as how this post is not life-or-death. This weekend was fun- I flew to Flint, MI to attend the wedding of a long-time friend who was also my bridesmaid. She got married at an event place in Charlevoix, MI. Her dad put us up in a really nice hotel on Lake Michigan. My first time to see that sight. I had a good time seeing old friends. And as I find is true, the stress of the last few days of wedding planning was soon forgotten once everyone was having a good time on the dance floor and the cake had been cut. The bride looked beautiful- she wore a champagne-colored Maggie Sottero ball gown made of soft-crushed taffeta with lots of pickups and a balloon-hem train. She did look like a princess in her castle. I especially loved her French bustle. I wanted this for my own dress but it just didn't look good with my gown, so I had to go for the American style.
It was a lovely gown
Took time to tie all those bows!
I loved our bridesmaid shirts!
The back
I missed John on this trip. It was the first time we have spent the night apart- and we spent 3 nights and 4 days apart. thankfully we were pretty busy so there wasn't too much time to miss him. But at the reception it was hard to be sitting out the slow songs and especially hard when they did a married couples only dance. There were a LOT of married couples there. The groom has 7 siblings, 5 of which are married. And then there were plenty of aunts, uncles and cousins. And lots of little kids :)

I still find myself still getting really emotional at weddings. Every time I see a couple who I know is truly in love exchange vows, it seems to really touch me somewhere deep inside and reminds me of my own wedding day and John and I exchanging vows. Then I get a little choked up, lol. This bride and groom had it right, looking deeply into each other's eyes the whole time. They didn't cry though. I actually didn't cry during our vows either. I did get a little watery during the communion and song. It's just to me- marriage has felt like the most
spiritual act I've ever done. After the wedding, the sister of the bride and her husband were visiting in our hotel room. The sister of the bride is just a little more than a year younger than me and we were really close in high school. Anyway, her husband was asking how I am enjoying married life (they just got married March 25 of this year). Well, at first I gave a light-hearted answer but then I said "You know how people say when you have a child that you never knew you could love someone so much? Well, that's how I feel about John.
It's just the strongest feeling I've ever felt. I know that's super mushy but it really is how I feel." And he was just like, "Well that's good." And it really is the truth guys! I love my hubby so very much and I am so grateful for him. So I can't imagine how my heart will feel when we have a child. And even more, I can't comprehend how great the Father's love for us. I know it's greater than any human love there is and my finite mind definitely cannot comprehend it. I just can't imagine how strong and overpowering his feelings towards us are and how they are even greater than mine. One thing I can comprehend- His love is selfless and perfect. That my love is not.

I am recovering from my lack of sleep. We did not get a ton, but last night was by far the worst. I went to bed at 3am and woke at 5am so we could get on the road to the airport which was about 4 hours away. I had to fight that lack-of-sleep nausea that I only get with extreme lack of sleep. But- I did get to sleep in the car and on the plane and may nap some more on my next flight. I need to because I have another early morning facing me. I have to be at the hospital at 5am. My grandma is having open-heart surgery. She is having an
aortic aneurysm repaired. The cardiothoracic surgeon assured us he thought it was safe and he does them all the time. Nonetheless it is still major major surgery. She will be put on heart-lung bypass and will be in ICU a few days on a ventilator. They won't reverse her surgical anesthesia but rather will allow it to wear-off naturally because of her age. They think it will be best for her body to have extra time to recover. So she'll awake to a tube in her throat, an IV in her neck and arm and her wrists restrained. I can't imagine how this is
going to feel. It's got to be frightening. So I'll be spending tomorrow at the hospital waiting on her to come out of surgery. It's scheduled to take about 4 hours.

So in about 4 hours I should be touching down at home. I will be so happy to see my hubby.

Random goal for this month- putting it on paper. Man-up enough to get my wedding dress dry-cleaned and take to the consignment shop. We have a shop locally that specializes in wedding dresses. I am trying to let go of my sentimentality over the dress. I have tried it on since the wedding and it definitely does not feel the same as wearing it on your wedding day. BUT- I won't just give it away. If I can't get at least 1/2 to 1/3 of what I paid for it I'm just going to keep it.

Okay well I guess I can't think of anything else to write. Sorry this post is so long, but I have a lot of time on my hands :)
T-2.5 hours til takeoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to show some love and ask questions!