Monday, January 10, 2011

What to do with the wedding dress?

So I got a crazy idea this week. Cut my wedding dress into a cocktail dress. I love it oh so much, and it just collecting dust into eternity seemed so wrong.

I tried to sell it once on Craigslist. No luck. I called a resale shop that specializes in this. She told me to be prepared to only get a hundred bucks. No thank you.

I asked the hubs if we could do a "trash the dress" shoot on the beach since we never got pics there like I wanted. He said no. :(

So I asked my mom about her thoughts on cutting it up. She said yes!
My reluctant seamstress thought no. But she and a girl friend laced me into it anyway. And then proceeded to tell me no matter what I did it would look like a wedding dress chopped up. Because of the way it has some a-symmetrical features and beading down the sides, they said no. And I think I have to agree :(

So now what am I supposed to do? Have it cleaned and sealed up in a box forever for no reason? Keep it out til it yellows and watch my future girls play dress-up in it? Oh- the misery.

My girl friends suggested a belated solo bridal shoot this summer on the beach. Do it without the hubs. Get my feet in the tide, don't worry about the sand. Get awesome pics. Then have it cleaned and sealed up forever.

What do you think? What did you do?

You can't really tell but there's embroidery and beading down the sides. If we cut it it would just sorta drop off at the new waist seam. And the back is a corset lace-up. Of course we would cut the tulle too. And use the beaded train part to make a christening gown maybe?

I'm told the style will make it say "wedding dress" no matter what.
Original pic for comparison
Tell me what ya think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to show some love and ask questions!